Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Earth Isn't Round

That's right, the earth is not round. It's not flat either, but it most definitely isn't round. Not perfectly. In fact the earth is not unlike many middle-aged men, a little squatty with a few extra pounds in the middle. You see due to some pretty phenomenal natural occurrences the earth is not completely round, but a little short at the poles and a little plump at the Equator. I'll save you the complex science behind it, but safe to say most of the people that call this nearly spherical ball home do not know it's true nature.

In fact, it's amazing the misconceptions that people have, not only about this third rock from the sun, but about so many things in our Universe. People take so many things on "blind faith" never so much as doing five minutes of research on their own. I even had one person recount for me the "history of all things" based completely on what he had seen on the History and Discovery Channels. A fact that he was eager to disclose, I might add. He responded to the question, "Who came first, a woman or a child?" with the answer "neither." Apparently, according to his logic, man came into existence having never existed before, without ever actually beginning. He never recognized his fallacy.

People blindly follow Calvin, their creed books, or their parents, never having actually studied out their beliefs logically. They accept what is given to them without so much as a desire to KNOW whether it is true or not.

Let us not be lemmings ready to jump off the cliff just because those in front of us did it. Let us be assured of our faith, confident in our doctrine, sure of our footing, and grounded in truth.

Oh, and if someone ever sarcastically says to you, "I bet you think the earth is flat," respond in kind, "I bet you think the earth is round, don't you?"

1 comment:

  1. *gasp!* The world isn't round? I do actually follow Calvin. And Hobbes. The comic. Bahaha, get it? *cough* Um, yeah...

    Good post. :)

    ReplyDelete