Sunday, November 22, 2009

Planning for Tomorrow, Living for Today Part II

(Hmmm...it is late on Sunday evening, and I am just now getting to this blog entry. Already slacking on the fifth day? Uh oh...I better pick it up, in my defense I had a day full of other thoughts, so at least this is up on the proper day, if not at the proper time.)

What was the purpose for the previous entry? Well, I have spent a fair amount of time contemplating the future. Occasionally I have found myself presuming certain things to be so, taking them for granted. Now that is the exact attitude that must be avoided.

But then the question becomes, can we plan for tomorrow? The answer is absolutely! In fact that is something that God expects. The most important thing we should make provision for is our soul. We should spend every day preparing for eternity. What of the physical? Some believe we are prohibited from planning for the physical. Well that is simply nonsense. We are to give, and that giving requires purposeful planning. Another consideration here deals with inheritance. The Proverb writer declares that a good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children (Proverbs 13:22)

The truth is there are two extremes that must be avoided. The first is the removal of God from the equation in our planning, thus assuming that something will take place. The other is the total lack of preparation, assuming that God will take care of you with no effort. Avoid them both.

Oh, I have plans, and if the Lord wills I hope to see some of them come to fruition. But I understand that they are merely plans and not certainties, and I strive to trust in God and in his providence. So here I am planning for tomorrow while still living for today; keeping my eye on the ultimate prize, and giving God the glory for all my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment